Communication Visuals for non -verbal students with Autism

 Critical Communication -




Teaching students new skills such as requesting "break", "help" and "wait" can be tricky for some kids with Special Education Needs.
I  wanted to  support each of my non verbal students with  self -management strategies and tools that were easy to implement, so i created these 



To aid communication, avoid frustration and control behavior in my classroom I knew i had to incorporate these critical skills. 
I added handy visuals on the bottom for my student to tell me.....

  • how they were feeling, by pointing or ticking the box when they needed a "Break", 
  • directions on what to do while they were "waiting" 
  • what they need "help" with



Producing these before behavior starts makes a huge difference in redirecting students as what to do. Support staff love the power of the cards!

I made them in three different sizes, in colour and black & white. 
I use these cards to provide structure in my behaviour support plans and they run in conjunction with ABA Management'.

 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips on how to create a Basic Skills Folder Activity

Folder  activities are engaging and a fun way to enhance the learning experiences for preschoolers and students in special education. I find...